Saturday, October 15, 2011

Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes

I love mashed potatoes, but they are so bad for you and typically lack any nutritional benefits. This recipe helped me make decadent tasting mashed potatoes, but still get a couple of those good health guidelines met. They are great served with roast chicken!

Original Inspiration: I think I got inspired while watching Everyday Food on PBS
Servings: 2 (double or triple the recipe for more people)
WW: 5 pointsplus per serving

Ingredients:

12 ounces of small red potatoes, skin on (the creamer potatoes work well)
4 teaspoons olive oil (buy the high quality stuff!)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste


Method:

Steam potatoes for around 30 minutes or until your fork slides out of the potatoes very easily. I am sure that you could also boil the potatoes, but I have always steamed them in my steamer basket on the stove.

The potatoes should be very easy to mash at this point. Add olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mash! They look good on the plate garnished with extra lemon zest or chopped chives. So good and you can both of your healthy oil servings for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment