Monday, October 17, 2011

Potato Leek Soup

<- Dinner tonight. Actually, it is lunch tomorrow, but dinner came from the same pot. I've actually never had potato leek soup until I made this recipe. It was very tasty and super healthy. I can't really compare it to regular potato leek soup, but give this healthier version a try! 
Original inspiration: SkinnyTaste
Serving: 6 servings (about a 1 & 1/4 cups each)
WW: 4 pointsplus

Ingredients: 

3-4 medium sized leeks, dark green stems removed
1 small onion, diced
2 large russet potatoes, peeled  and cut into cubes
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon butter
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup milk (I used skim and it turned out fine)
salt and pepper to taste (for me, that means an unbelievably large amount of pepper)

Method: 

You need to make sure that you clean the leeks very well, since the layers hold a lot of dirt in. What I do is cut the bottoms off and remove the dark green tops of the leeks. Then I cut them lengthwise into quarters and chop them coarsely. I use my salad spinner to rinse and spin the leeks dry. You could just use a strainer and wash them well. 

In a medium soup pot (I used my 3.5 quart dutch oven & it was perfect - don't use anything smaller), melt butter on a low flame and stir in the flour. Mix well as this is the base of your soup. 

Add leeks, potatoes, onion, and broth to the pot, raise the burner up to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low for 20-25 minutes. The potatoes should be very soft. Add milk, salt, and pepper. You can either serve the soup chunky or blend with an immersion blender until smooth.

I was satisfied eating one serving and a few slices of baguette for dinner.  You could also serve this as an appetizer and probably get 10+ servings from this recipe.

1 comment: